Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Well, it's time to buy some earplugs

I finally finished all of my bass tracking. I'm happy with everything I've played so far. This means that Chance and Hananel and I (I think) have the next day or so off. Problem is, the pictures you saw of us chilling and sleeping were misleading. It's exceptionally hard to sleep with lots of sound happening just one room over. I'm sure seeing the eventual scene of Chance and I wearing our studio headphones with pillows clustered over our heads would be worth a good laugh. (Note: it didn't work so well. I'm still tired. And it's hot.)

An excerpt from recording earlier today (before bass was finished on the last song, Dreaming):

Chance: "Did you hear that spot? Missed a high-hat there."
Me: "Yeah. Heard it."
We listen to the track again, front to back, in the control room. None of us hear it. We move along, and I start recording my bass tracking. All of a sudden, in the middle of a bass riff...

...I hear it.

Me: "There it is, that part."
Ric (after a pause): "Do what, now?"
Me: "The missing high hat. Was...like, four or five seconds before you stopped the track."

We all listen again. No one hears it but me this time, and I can pick it out plainly over the headphones.

Ric: "I don't hear it."
Me: "It's there, though. Right...there."
Chris: "I don't hear it either."
John: "You're making it up."
Hananel: "I'm going to kill you, Seth."
Chance: "Uhh...I can't really hear it either."

I finish my bass tracking. We go back into the studio control room to review it.

Ric: "Just for my curiousity, tell me exactly where it is so I can mark it."

We listen. I point it out, he marks it.

John: "Whoa. He's right, there's something there!"
Ric: "That's...that's not even a missed hit. It was just a softer hit. You need to relax, man."
Me: "Oh. Well...I mean, I'm just saying. It was there...I mean, it's not a big deal, just wanted to make sure you guys were aware. If you're cool with it I am too."
Chris: "How do you feel about the bass track, though?"
Me: "It was good...well, except for this one part. Actually, that part where you marked it--I need to redo that part, I want it to be symmetrical with another part of the song..."
Hananel: "I'm gonna kill you, Seth."
Me: "It'll take like two seconds, promise..."

Yep. That's it...hope it made someone else smile.

1 comment:

Tiki Sanchez said...

tell moss im walking these day... he will be proud